Re: Imperfect participles, future participles...

Fri, 4 Apr 1997 05:51:08 -0600

At 5:33 AM -0600 4/4/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>At 09:46 PM 4/3/97 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>>>Is that any different from hOI DE LOIPOI ELEGON: AFES IDWMEN EI ERCETAI
>>>HLIAS SWSEI AUTON?
>>
>>No, because you've put no conjunction before the clause beginning with
>>SWSEI.
>
>OK, let me try again: hOI DE LOIPOI ELEGON: AFES IDWMEN EI ERCETAI HLIAS
>hINA SWSHi AUTON?

Good: that will serve;also possible: hWSTE SWSAI AUTON, EIS TO SWSAI AUTON,
PROS TO SWSAI AUTON, TOU SWSAI AUTON, and I can imagine the sentence also
being written: AFES IDWMEN EI HLIAS ELQWN SWSEI AUTON?--which I'd
translate: "Let's see if Elijah will come and save him?" In this last
version, the purpose is not highlighted, but it would certainly be implicit
even so that Elijah would come for no other reason than in order to save
him.

(314) 935-4018