Re: Participle=Imperative?

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Mon, 07 Apr 1997 21:27:17 -0400

JMCGRANAHAN@trevecca.edu wrote:

> In I Peter 2:4, there is the participle
> PROSERCHOMENOI (literally meaning "coming").
> Can this participle be used as an imperative--
> "Come"? It would make the translation a
> little smoother, but I want to be as accurate
> as I possibly can. Thanks for any input.

You can find a fair amount of discussion of exactly this point by going to
the full text search engine for the archives. I had good results using the
search key "PROSERC*".

Personally, I liked what Chapel Roe had to say in one of those threads:

I would read PROSERCHOMENOI as an adverbial
participle expressing time and modifying the
verb OIKODOMEISQE. The translation would then be
parallel--"While coming to him, (who is) a living
stone...you also as living stones are being built up."

Hope this helps!

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728