Re: latin

Tue, 8 Apr 1997 05:29:16 -0500

At 10:15 PM -0500 4/7/97, Bart Ehrman wrote:
> Wheelock! I've personally used it to teach myself Latin on four
>different occasions over the years. :-)
>
> (The second time was the summer before my first graduate seminar at
>Princeton Seminary, a class on the canon with Bruce Metzger; I had been
>forewarned that on the first day of class he would hand out the Muratorian
>canon and ask us to translate it for next time. He did, and mentioned to
>my newly arrived colleagues, who hadn't been so forewarned, that Latin was
>being offered in evening school at the local high school! It was a
>painful week for a couple of my friends...)
>
>-- Bart D. Ehrman, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
>

>On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Lynn A Kauppi wrote:
>
>> Some of us need to learn Latin. Can anyone suggest a good text for self
>> study?

Of traditional-type textbooks there's no doubt that Wheelock, now in its
5th edition and redone by Rick Lafleur of U.Ga., is one of the best. As a
self-teaching text it has a very nice and extensive set of self-testing
exercises with an answer-key. I happen to be using it in a Beginning Latin
course right now that I had to take over from a colleague. Still, I
wouldn't have chosen it for the primary reason that it teaches by using the
context-less sentence as the unit of discourse for practice and for ancient
texts to read until pretty late in the sequence of things, whereas I think
one needs to start reading paragraphs of connected discourse right away; it
also doesn't introduce the subjunctive until 3/4 of the way through the
course, although the subjunctive is indispensible for ordinary Latin
discourse and needs to be introduced early, as is done by Moreland and
Fleischer, _Latin: An Intensive Course_, U.Cal. Press; this is the book
used in the 8-week intensive courses at CUNY and UC-Berkeley. It has keys
too and it also has much fuller grammatical explanations--and it introduces
the subjunctive in the third lesson. Probably one of these two is the best
bet, although if I were beginning my own course right now with a class, I'd
use the JACT textbook, _Reading Latin_ published by Cambridge UP. There's
no simple right answer on this one; I would say that if you have two or
more languages other than English already, it may not make much difference
which textbook you use.

(314) 935-4018