Re: James 2:19 (Continuing exegesis of James 2)

Mike A Porter (nikeo@juno.com)
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 21:27:41 PST

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997 21:26:07 -0500 "Edgar M. Krentz" <emkrentz@mcs.com>
writes:

>Michael, I do not think that this is an instance of KAI ... KAI
>indicating
>"both ... and," i.e. not a reduplication of KAI. To be such a
>construction
>the first KAI ought to stand directly before PISTEUOUSIN, not before
>TA
>DAIMONIA. So I would not translate as you do.

After I had sent the post, I began doubting my use.

>Given the order of the Greek words the first KAI is probably emphatic:
>"Even the demons believe--and their hair stands on end." That verb
>FRISSOUSIN is used of the hair rising on the nape of a dog's neck,
>when it
>is angry. James seems to like such wonderful imagery.

Where is it used as such? Wouldn't mind a reference. I saw it used in
the LXX (it is a hapax legomenon in James) in the Apocrypha where Judith
kills the Assyrian:

Judith 16:10 The Persians trembled at her
boldness, the Medes were daunted at her
daring.

It also occurs in Jeremiah 2:12 and Daniel 7:15.

Michael Porter