Re: 1 Pe 1 v11

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 17:13:36 -0400

Micheal Palmer wrote:

>At 4:36 PM -1000 4/20/97, Joe Hennessy wrote:

>>PROMARTUROMENON TA EIS CRISTON PAQHMATA

> those sufferings which were intended *for* Christ?
>
>The NRSV follows this last approach with "the sufferings destined for
>Christ." Both of these readings make use of very normal meanings of EIS.
>While students are often taught to think of EIS first as "to" or "into" and
>to see all other meanings as extensions of these, this is a serious
>oversimplification. EIS is frequently used as an indicator of purpose, for
>example as in Romans 1:5.

I don't know if this is helpful for anybody except me, but the old KJV word
"unto" helps me make the semantic link between EIS and purpose clauses. This
would probably be more helpful if people still used the word...

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com