Re: Matthew 7.6

Lee R. Martin (lmartin@voyageronline.net)
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:45:51 -0700

Brian E. Wilson wrote:

> Jim Clardy wrote:
>
> >My question: Are there any clues found in KUSIN or XOIRWN as to the
> >actual meaning of TO hAGION? I've read all the arguments about dogs and
> >swine referring to heretics or Gentiles and remain unconvinced. There
> >just seems to be more here than a "vulgar" reference. Finally, is there
> >anything in the nature of TWN XOIRWN or MARGARITAS which would cause
> >the violent reaction so stated?

We should therefore expect occasional sentences in the
> NT which are nonsense. Is not Mt 7.6 one such sentence? Others I would
> include are: Mt 6.34(b) and Mk 9.49.
>
> Brian E. Wilson

Dear Jim and Brian,
I find no ambiguity in Mat. 7:6. What is the problem? Anyone who has
fed hogs has experienced this verse.

It is true that this isolated verse is open to various interpretations,
but it seems to mean that you do not give anything valuable to those
whom you know will not appreciate it.

--
Lee R. Martin
Adjunct Faculty in Old Testament and Hebrew