Re: "ARSENOKOITAI" in 1 Cor. 6:9

Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@washdc.mindspring.com)
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 01:33:52 -0400

At 07:11 4/23/97 -0400, Mike MacKinnon wrote:
>Currently I am wrestling with the proper interpretation of the word
>"arsenokoitai" in this verse. Etymologically, the word seems to be
>compound in nature, containing both "arsenos"=man/male, and
>"koitai"=beds/marital relationships. The question is, is it fair to
>translate this as "male marital relationships" as in homosexual marital
>relationships.

I would say not, because I regard as probably that this word was used,
if not coined, in reference to the prohibitions in Leviticus (LXX) :-

18:22 KAI META ARSENOS OU KOIMHQHSHi KOITHN GUNAIKEIAN, BDELUGMA GAR ESTI.

20:13 KAI hOS AN KOIMHQHi META ARSENOS KOITHN GUNAIKOS, BDELUGMA EPOIHSAN
AMFOTEROI: QANATWi QANATOUSQWSAN, ENOIXOI EISIN.

Note particularly the wording of Lv20:13 (LXX). Thus, I would conclude
that an ARSENOKOITHS is someone who beds a male in a manner that would
violate Lv18:22 and 20:13, as understood in the first century. There is
a recent article in Novum Testamentum about Rm1:20-25 that suggests that
the manner of intercourse was considered more offensive than the sexual
identities of those involved.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson                   : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
scarlson@mindspring.com              : and songs chant the words.