Rev 20

Colleagues,

In a recent discussion of this difficult apocalyptic text, (Rev 20:2-4)

He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent,
who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years, and threw him
into the pit, and locked and sealed it over him, so that he would deceive
the nations
no more, until the thousand years were ended. After that he must be let out
for a
little while.

a participant suggested that satan is bound for 1000 years so that there is
peace on earth and let loose so that those alive have the same "trials and
difficulties" that everyone else on earth has faced so that "everything
equals out".

The supposition was that if all people do not face the same trials then
there is somehow inequity in God.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to why satan is let loose (instead of
simply remaining bound)?  I mean, what are some suggested theological
explanations for this?  (Believe me, I have checked all the commentaries of
note- and I mean all of them!, and found them wanting).

Thanks,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
jwest@highland.net

 "Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"