No Subject

At 01:41 PM 5/9/97 -0400, Randy Leedy wrote:

>David's reading does indeed seem to be the best rendering of the LXX,
>but Paul's wording in Romans is a far better representation of the
>Hebrew MT. In the Romans passage, the exclamatory "How!" is the only
>possibility, since hWRAIOI (does the LXX use hWRA="hour"? or was that
>a typo in the original post?) can only be a predicate adjective,
>implying a copula as the main verb.

        The LXX does have hWRA, but it probably doesn't mean "hour" here but
"spring," referring to the season of the year.

        A comparison of the LXX here with Rom. 10:15 raises some very
complex textual issues which might be extremely difficult to resolve
adequately.  I think one should keep in mind that the LXX is a translation,
and it may not perfectly reflect even the Hebrew text from which it was
translated.  And one should remember that when Paul quoted from the OT, he
apparently felt free to either use, or sometimes modify, or sometimes
disregard the LXX translation of any given passage.  And besides, we can't
really know if his LXX may have differed, in places, form ours.

David Moore

David L. Moore
Miami, Florida, USA
Southeastern Spanish District of the A/G Dept. of Education
E-mail: dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com
Home Page: http://members.aol.com/dvdmoore