SS to TT

Ihave a small, technical question (which I guess I'd know if I'd
learned Greek the LaSor way and notthe Machen way, by rote).  I've
encountered a few verbs, in particular (HSSAOMAI, that change the
double  Sigma to a double Tau, in an apparently unpredictable way
(double Tau in the present/mid.pass part., double Sigma in the Future).
Is there are sort of "rule" by which one can guess if they see a verb
form with a double TT in it that the dictionary form has a double
Sigma?  It makes finding the word a challenge.  Thanks.

Ken Litwak