Re: Polybius 2,56,14

Let me make just a couple of quick comments.  My professor's
understanidng of the text has nothing to do with the translation I
offered as I hadn't even been to our seminar, which is to day, to offer
the translation.  I did find the suggeston that Ineed a new prof a bit
over the edge.  Second, there are multiple ways this sentence CAN be
construed.  While I heard this mornin at least two versions that take
TOUTO as a straight dirct object "suffere this," I think it can be
easily argued from the context that Polybius is saying that if someone
is a ruler (ARGWN is in fact a participle, which was used regularly as a
substantive meaning ruler, but it is still a participle) of unjust
hands, he may suffer on account of this fact.  The context relates to
the reasons or bases upon wich people are punished or suffer.  Thus
understanding TOUTO here as "for this," i.e., on account of possessing
unjust hands.  It could equally be "if a certain ruler suffers this by
unjhust hands," but there is no clear antecedent then for TOUTO in my
opinion.  Of course, the whole passage is hard to interpret I thik, so
leaving the reader to wonder what TOUTO refers to, if this means
"suffers this" would not be surprising.  My impression of Polybius from
reading just a couple of sections, especially 2.56.10, is that either he
is a bad writer because he does not express him self very clearly or he
deliberately chose to not eschew obfuscation.  Which it is I suppose
depends upon one's agenda.

Ken Litwak