Re: Reversible translations

Lex Kuhta wrote:

> I was hoping kdlitwak could offer us the reference about what the
> translators had attempted because I want to read more about it. It's a
> hot topic at church right now and I want to learn more about the failure
> to back-translate. I could use some good "ammo" on this one right about
> now.  Thanks,  Lex.
   Ammo?!  Sorry I don't have any ammo, not even a light saber.  At
12:30 AM, in a stinking hot house, huddled over my computer trying toi
decide where in a paper to refer to an article on Paul's conversion, I
don't have energy to find anything specific.  I do know that J.
Fitzmeyer and, I think, M. Black, have both dealth with the possible
Aamaic background of the canonical Gospels.  I'm afraid that you'llhave
to look themup and do some research to get "ammo," but I don't think
this subject lends itself to shoot outs.  Then again, I'm a doctoral
student and have to nuance things to the piont they almost disappear.
Every month there are fewer and fewer things I know, so I'm not the
right person to come to for ammo.

Ken

Follow-Ups: References: