Re: post.prepared for anglican (reversible translation)

Paul Zellmer wrote:

> Lee R. Martin wrote:
> >
> > Comparing "paraphrase" to "translation" is like comparing apples to
> > oranges.  They do not belong in the same discussion.  Paraphrase is the
> > attempt to restate a meaning in different words.  This principle applies
> > only within the same language.
>
> Lee,
>
> In the purest form of the definition, I agree with your "same-language"
> definition.  However, in actual practice, the word "paraphrase" has been
> used to describe translations based on translations, e.g.,
> Koine-->English-->minority language.

Translators certainly use "paraphrase" in this way, but it is
misleading, as we can plainly see from the posts on this list.  A
double-step translation is no more a paraphrase than a single-step
translation.  It is a translation of a translation.  Of course the
translators may then add the further process of paraphrasing their
retranslation.

--
Lee R. Martin
Adjunct Faculty in Old Testament and Hebrew

Follow-Ups: References: