Re: OUT with those Nouns!

At 07:19 PM 5/23/97 -0700, Gregory and Carol Yeager wrote:
>I'm not really sure what a kvetsch is, but ...

A kvetsch is someone who is always griping and finding fault, seeing pain
and human suffering, missing out on all forms of humor, being easily
offended. It is a Yiddish term, and I bet Leo Rosten would have a good
article on it in "The Joys of Yiddish".

I once saw a bumper sticker that said "Marcel Proust is a kvetsch!" Of
course, the False Memory Syndrome people have recently determined that
Proust had chocolate chip cookies when he was a child, not madeleines...

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie   jwrobie@mindspring.com  http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703    http://www.poet.com