Re: Romans 9:22 SKEUH ORGHS *KATHRTISMENA* EIS APWLEIAN

At 09:44 AM 6/1/97 -0400, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

>I think the assertion that all perfect m/p ptcs. are passive is absurd, but
>I personally think that in Rom 9:22 KATHRTISMENA probably IS passive rather
>than middle. It looks to me like Chrysostom wants to interpret the phrase
>in an Arminian fashion (anachronism acknowledged). Despite my own powerful
>Arminian tendencies, I really do think that Paul is making a particularly
>powerful predestinarian assertion here.

Well, Carl, back from church and looking at it in context, I think that the
parallelism between the two "prepared"s in verses 22 and 23 is pretty
compelling evidence for your view:

Roma 9:22 (NASU) What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and
to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath
*prepared* for destruction?
23 And [He did so] to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of
mercy, which He *prepared* beforehand for glory,

There is no doubt about the second "prepared": EPI SKEUH ELEOUS hA
*PROHTOIMASEN* EIS DOKSAN. The passage doesn't really give me a warm,
comfortable feeling inside, but I think it probably does need to be
interpreted as you suggest...

Thanks!

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie   jwrobie@mindspring.com  http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie