Re: Romans 9:22 SKEUH ORGHS *KATHRTISMENA* EIS APWLEIAN

In a message dated 97-06-01 10:30:30 EDT, Carl W. Conrad writes:

> I think the assertion that all perfect m/p ptcs. are passive is absurd, but
>  I personally think that in Rom 9:22 KATHRTISMENA probably IS passive
rather
>  than middle. It looks to me like Chrysostom wants to interpret the phrase
>  in an Arminian fashion (anachronism acknowledged). Despite my own powerful
>  Arminian tendencies, I really do think that Paul is making a particularly
>  powerful predestinarian assertion here.

I agree.  It would be wrong to speak of grammar alone here, as if grammar
solved all our exegetical problems.  The context aids us here.  9:21 speaks
of God making two kinds of vessels, and 9:23 speaks of Him preparing us as
vessels of mercy and prepared for glory.  The context, therefore, indicates
that the vessels have been made by God for a purpose (v. 21) and suggests
that the passive reading in 9:22 is best.

John Barach
Unemployed Seminary Graduate Seeking a Call  =)