Re: Wenham

>Dear all
>
>I have just had a look at Jonathan Robie's 'Little Greek Home Page'
>which I greatly enjoyed.  I will recommend it to students starting
>out on Greek.

Thanks! I appreciate that.

>I am curious that I never see anyone on this list refer to the
>introduction to NT Greek that has seen me, and a couple of
>generations of British university students, throught the early
>stages:
>
>J. W. Wenham, *The Elements of New Testament Greek* (Cambridge:
>Cambridge University Press, 1965).
>
>Are people on the list familiar with this book?  If so, I would be
>most interested to hear whether people think it a good introduction
>as I am still using at as the students' first text book here.

A friend of mine has a professor who thinks this is really quite good; I
don't have a copy, so I can't say anything first hand. Mounce's grammar
seems to get lots of kudos, but I haven't seen that one either.

Right now, I think that the section on introductory grammars is one of the
weak spots of my web page. I would like to find the best three introductory
grammars so I can review them on my web page...I would be interested in
nominations; I'll try to figure out a way to get my hands on the ones which
people recommend (the local seminary bookstore doesn't carry many, and I'm
trying to avoid putting out money for them, since books are expensive and I
don't really need an introductory grammar).

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie   jwrobie@mindspring.com  http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703    http://www.poet.com