Re: OU+PAS (Romans 9:6 reconsidered)

On Jun 3, 11:46pm, Micheal Palmer wrote:

> >I've found two kinds of verses in which OU+PAS is found.  In the
> >first kind, OU is construed with PAS.  In these OU negates the
> >universal affirmative proposition producing a particular negative
> >proposition; ~(All a is b) becomes (Some a is not b).  In the second
> >kind, OU is construed with the verb, producing a universal affirmation
> >(or negation depending on the way the relation is written).  Of this
> >latter class are two important verses: Rom 3:20, Gal 2:16.
> >
> >This means that OU, in Romans 9:6, is to be construed with PANTES
> >to the effect that OU negates the universal affirmative proposition,
> >"all who are of ethnic Israel are of elect Israel" to produce the
> >particular negative "some who are of ethnic Israel are not of elect
> >Israel."  If OU was construed with the implicit verb EISIN, then the
> >result would be that no one of ethnic Israel was elect, which is
> >clearly not the case.  This is what John Piper did, and I think it
> >is a mistake (though he did arrive at the correct result anyway!)
>
> What criteria are you using to determine whether a particular case belongs
> to one type or the other? Are you going solely on word order, taking OU to
> negate the word immediately adjacent to it, or are you using other
> criteria? If so, what are they? Your proposal sounds very interesting. I
> would be interested in seening some more of the detail.

Hi Micheal,

The criteria is based on word order.  I have assumed that for OU
to be construed with PAS, rather than the verb, the verb should
not intervene between OU and PAS.

OU construed with PAS:

Matthew 7:21 ................ OU PAS
Matthew 19:11 ............... OU PANTES
John 13:10 .................. OUXI PANTES
John 13:18 .................. OU PERI PANTWN
Acts 10:41 .................. OU PANTI
Romans 9:6 .................. OU GAR PANTES
Romans 10:16 ................ OU PANTES
1 Corinthians 6:12 .......... OU PANTA
1 Corinthians 15:39 ......... OU PASA
2 Thessalonians 3:2 ......... OU GAR PANTWN

OU construed with the verb:

Matthew 24:22 ............... OUK AN ESWQH PASA
Romans 3:20 ................. OU DIKAIWQHSETAI PASA
1 John 2:19 ................. OUK EISIN PANTES

There may be more, but these are all the ones I know of.

In Christ,
Jim Beale