Re: Gospel of Mark and EUQUS

Dear Eric, Carl, Edward and all,

I have not yet seen the piece by Rod Decker on this subject, but you
might also look at the more old-fashioned but nevertheless thorough
analysis,

D. Daube, *The Sudden in the Scriptures* (Leiden: Brill, 1964)

Also useful is:

E. J. Pryke, *Redactional Style in the Marcan Gospel: A Study of
Syntax and Vocabulary as Guides to Redaction in Mark* (Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press, 1978), pp. 87-98

I have done a study on the general theme in relation to Luke
Chapter 6 ('Promptitude and Alacrity')  in my own *Goulder and
the Gospels: An Examination of a New Paradigm* (JSNTSup, 133;
Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 1996).

I have made in this context some comments on Mark's use of EUQUS.
Daube thinks that it simply means 'in due course' or 'forthwith' (p.
60) but I think that this underestimates the evidence.  One of the
interesting features is that EUQUS is often used in contexts where
the immediacy of Jesus' healing power seems to be conveyed (1.42,
Leper, 2.12, Paralytic, 5.29, Woman with Flux, 5.42 Jairus' daughter,
10.52, Bartimaeus).  Note also the quick spreading of a report about
Jesus (1.28) and several times in the Parable of the Sower (Mark 4)
things happen EUQUS, most obviously meaning quickly.

In such contexts, thinking of EUQUS as a synonym for IDOU is a good
idea, but for me it does not convey the sense of immediacy that the
narrative is hinting at.  On other occasions, the equation between
the two works better.  Take, for example Matt. 26.67 // Mark 14.43 //
Luke 22.47 where, in a minor agreement between Matthew and Luke
against Mark we have:

Mark 14.43: KAI *EUQUS* ETI AUTOU LALOUNTOS PARAGINETAI JOUDAS
Matt. 26.47: KAI ETI AUTOU LALOUNTOS *IDOU* JOUDAS
Luke 22.47: ETI AUTOU LALOUNTOS *IDOU* OXLOS

A little extra ammunition for your notion.

Good wishes

Mark

Dr Mark Goodacre
Department of Theology