Re: Gospel of Mark and EUQUS (David Rhoads)

Carl Conrad and now Matthew Johnson have mentioned two translations of
Mark's gospel that preserve its Greek "feel." A dozen or more years ago,
my wife and I, on our anniversary, attended David Rhoads' one-man
presentation (complete with a few costume changes, but otherwise
performed in a plain church fellowship hall - St. James Lutheran
Church(?), Kansas City, MO) of the Gospel of Mark, based on his own
translation as contained in his book (co-authored with someone named
Michie, I believe) called "Mark As Story" (or "Mark As Storyteller"). We
had seen Alec McGowan's famous presentation of St. Mark's Gospel on the
A&E Network, but we much preferred Rhoads' - not just because it was "in
person" but also because of the freshness and vividness of the language
of his translation - it would be good to compare it with the Greek now
that I can. Ending the gospel as his translation does at Mark 16:8 was
startling and wonderful - it left us hanging with a sense of suspense
that reading the gospel hadn't done.

The book is still in print, and the first half discusses the
story-telling nature of the gospel(s), I believe.