Re: same mother?

Will Wager's wrote:

>In my abridged Liddle & Scott, I find the following definition of
>monogenes:
>
>	"only-begotten: born from one and the same *mother*."
>
>I have not found the same definition in my new LSJ. Can anyone shed
>light on this? Are there other sources for the above definition?

I looked this up in the LSJ at the Perseus web site - the entry I saw can be
found at:

        http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/lexindex?entry=monogenh/s

The definition you cite isn't there; the closest sense I found was:

        3. m. haima one and the same blood, dub. l. in Eur. Hel. 1685.

I think that the abridged versions of LSJ are much older - is it possible
that later editors decided to drop or change the definition you object to?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie   jwrobie@mindspring.com  http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703    http://www.poet.com