Re: same mother?

At 7:17 PM -0400 6/13/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>Will Wager's wrote:
>
>>In my abridged Liddle & Scott, I find the following definition of
>>monogenes:
>>
>>	"only-begotten: born from one and the same *mother*."
>>
>>I have not found the same definition in my new LSJ. Can anyone shed
>>light on this? Are there other sources for the above definition?
>
>I looked this up in the LSJ at the Perseus web site - the entry I saw can be
>found at:
>
>        http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/lexindex?entry=monogenh/s
>
>The definition you cite isn't there; the closest sense I found was:
>
>        3. m. haima one and the same blood, dub. l. in Eur. Hel. 1685.
>
>I think that the abridged versions of LSJ are much older - is it possible
>that later editors decided to drop or change the definition you object to?

You can actually check this in the new one: if an entry has a bold asterisk
in front of it in the main lexicon entry, that means that there's
supplementary information in the Supplement in back; if you check the same
word inthe supplement, you'll sometimes find additional meanings disclosed
by new papyrus or epigraphical information, but you'll also find info on
deletions of items from an early LSJ entry.

Summer: 1647 Grindstaff Road/Burnsville, NC 28714/(704) 675-4243
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu