ADIALEIPTWS

Subject: Re: ADIALEIPTWS
>At Sat, 14 Jun 1997 07:29:16 -0400, Jonathan Robie Wrote

>>>Louw and Nida suggests that it means quite literally without stopping.
BAGD
>>>pretty much agrees, but lists one instance where it seems to mean
"without
>>>fail".
>>
>>It's worth noting also, with regard to MNHMONEUONTES, that MNHMONEUW
serves
>>for English "mention," i.e., for "give vocal expression to one's
>>recollection."

>Also, this is interesting with respect to various teachings on unceasing
prayer,
>often based on this verse:

>1The 5:17 Pray without ceasing.
>1The 5:17 adialeiptws proseucesqe.

>Does it really mean to pray in a manner that it never stops? Until this
morning,
> I thought it did, but take a look at the other verses in which
ADIALEIPTWS is used:

>Roma 1:9 (KJV) For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the
gospel
>of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my
prayers;
>1The 1:2 We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you
in
>our prayers;
>1The 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when
ye
>received the word of God which ye heard >of us, ye received [it] not [as]
the word
>of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh
also in you that
>believe.
>1The 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

>Roma 9:2 (KJS) That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my
heart.
>2Tim 1:3 I thank God, whom I serve from [my] forefathers with pure
conscience,
>that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and
day;

>Are we to believe that Paul, at all times, is simultaneously praying,
mentioning
>us in his prayers, sorrowing in his heart (while in Rome), thanking God,
all at the
>same time? I don't think so...

This is presicely my question,  I am trying to stay as close to the meaning
as my
reasoning ability will allow. In my first reading of it, I tried to
identify the word with
something I knew   A + DIA + LEIPTWS
Please forgive my youth and ingorance if I slaughter this:
A = some form of negation
DIA = through (though many other uses)
LEIPTWS = (possibly an aderbial form of LEIPW)