Re: ADIALEIPTWS

At 05:32 AM 6/14/97 -0400, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 7:05 PM -0400 6/13/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>Kevin Mullins wrote:
>>
>>>In 1Thess. 1:3 3  we have ADIALEIPTWS MNHMONEUONTES  translated "
>>>Remembering without ceasing" (KJV).  Could it possibly have a qualitative
>>>meaning as well as or rather than being related to time?  That is, would I
>>>be stretching this a great deal to say,  "Remembering and leaving nothing
>>>out.." or "Remembering everything of your work of faith..."?
>>
>>Louw and Nida suggests that it means quite literally without stopping. BAGD
>>pretty much agrees, but lists one instance where it seems to mean "without
>>fail".
>
>It's worth noting also, with regard to MNHMONEUONTES, that MNHMONEUW serves
>for English "mention," i.e., for "give vocal expression to one's
>recollection."

Also, this is interesting with respect to various teachings on unceasing
prayer, often based on this verse:

1The 5:17 Pray without ceasing.
1The 5:17 adialeiptws proseucesqe.

Does it really mean to pray in a manner that it never stops? Until this
morning, I thought it did, but take a look at the other verses in which
ADIALEIPTWS is used:

Roma 1:9 (KJV) For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the
gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my
prayers;
1The 1:2 We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in
our prayers;
1The 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye
received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received [it] not [as] the
word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually
worketh also in you that believe.
1The 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

Roma 9:2 (KJS) That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart.
2Tim 1:3 I thank God, whom I serve from [my] forefathers with pure
conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers
night and day;

Are we to believe that Paul, at all times, is simultaneously praying,
mentioning us in his prayers, sorrowing in his heart (while in Rome),
thanking God, all at the same time? I don't think so...

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie   jwrobie@mindspring.com  http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703    http://www.poet.com