--------------------------------------
Date: 6/16/97 12:42 PM
To: Lance Crimm
From: J.D.F.=van=Halsema%BW_KG%TheoF
In Mark 4:3 (parr) it says:

"EXHLQEN O SPEIRWN SPEIRAI"

Question: how can I be sure this has to be translated by "a sower went out to
sow" (RSV). What about: "the sower went out to sow"?
If the second possibility is incorrect I would like to know in which way I
can put that into Greek.

Of course this has exegetical implications. If it is "a sower" we are dealing
with a "Gleichnis" (Bultmann): something that can be repeated several times.
If we translate "the sower", we are dealing with a parabel (Bultmann): a
unique event occurring only once.

Erik van Halsema /                     |Research Assistant / Lecturer
Johan D.F. van Halsema                 |Faculty of Theology
mailto:j.d.f.van_halsema@esau.th.vu.nl |Vrije Universiteit
mailto:jdfvh@dds.nl                    |De Boelelaan 1105,
http://huizen.dds.nl/~jdfvh	       |NL - 1081 HV Amsterdam