Re: magoi

Mon, 7 Jul 1997 06:51:52 -0400

At 7:52 AM -0400 7/7/97, Rick Strelan wrote:
>Dio Chrysostom (Disc 36.41) says that the magoi were those who EPISTAMENOI
>QERAPEUEIN TO DAIMONION which Loeb translates: "people who knew how to
>cultivate the divine power". I do not have any problem with that as a
>translation, but it can also be translated "those who knew how to heal the
>daemon", can it not? Why opt for one over the other? The relevance for NT
>Greek is the use of the term mageuein of Simon in Acts 8 and of
>Elymas=magos in Acts 13. Did Simon know how to cultivate the divine power
>(in the context that makes sense)? or, did he know how to heal the demon?
>They are not mutually exclusive, of course.

An interesting question, and one that does concern legitimate
interpretation of the Greek as well as a larger religio-historical
question. "Cultivate" strikes me as a bit strange for QERAPEUEIN, which
tends to mean more "do attendant service upon" or "attend medically." Dio
belongs properly to the Second Sophistic, doesn't he--so that his usage is
Atticist rather than ordinary Koine? The language sounds more akin to the
Platonic usage and specifically to the great Socratic metaphor of QERAPEIA
THS YUCHS, "caretaking of one's soul"--where "cultivation" might be used
but there is no notion of "manipulation" but rather, as Socrates put it,
cultivation of the soul so that it might be hWS BELTISTOS, "the very best
that it can be." I don't have access to a text of Dio Chrysostom in my
present location, but I'm curious whether the context of the passage Rick
cites indicates he (Dio) is talking about Simon and the post-Christian
MAGOI rather than about the Zoroastrian MAGOI of Matthew's birth-narrative?

Summer: 1647 Grindstaff Road/Burnsville, NC 28714/(704) 675-4243