Re: Non-Biblical Greek texts electrionic form

Mon, 7 Jul 1997 06:58:58 -0400

At 11:32 PM -0400 7/6/97, Jeffrey Gibson wrote:
>On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Clayton Bartholomew wrote:
>
>> I've been burning up my scarce internet time looking for a source of
>> electroninc texts of the Greek Classics in Greek. Oxford is one source I
>> found but it isn't super convenient. Are there any FTB file sites that have
>> the major greek texts just for the grabbing?
>>
>Yes and no: Perseus (www.perseus.tufts.edu) has a good selection of texts
>which are downloadable in a variety of formats (Greek, Greek in Betacode,
>English with Greek morphological tags). But you have to download them
>section by section, and they may not have what you are looking for. The
>TLG is far and away the best source. Does a local seminary or classics
>department (even a friendly professor type) have a copy of this?

With regard to both Perseus and TLG texts of whole works one should be very
careful not to violate copyrights. TLG has very strict regulations
governing use of texts of whole works. One might think that texts 2000
years old can't be copyrighted, but one should realize that we are dealing
with EDITIONS which ARE copyrighted rather than with direct transcriptions
of "autograph" MSS. The copyright may have run out on the Loeb texts (or at
least on many of them) including in Perseus 2.0, but nevertheless one
should exercise some caution in this regard.

Summer: 1647 Grindstaff Road/Burnsville, NC 28714/(704) 675-4243