RE: Mark 7:19 - He Declared All Foods Clean

Hawkins, Mike (Mike.Hawkins@exchange1.echostar.com)
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 16:00:07 -0600

Ken,

Thank you for answering my initial question so well. However, you
answered what I asked, not what I meant to ask. So please forgive me and
let me rephrase my question.

I will agree that the phrase KAQARIZWN PANTA TA BRWMATA (making clean
all foods) is in the MSS. However, why do translators insert the phrase
"Thus he declared" [NASB, NWT] or "In saying this, Jesus declared ..."
[NIV] since this is not in the text? I am sure that translators have
their reasons. Does anyone know what those reasons are, as opposed to
just leaving it "cleansing all food?"

NASB --
18 And He said to them, ÇAre you so lacking in understanding also? Do
you not understand that whatever goes into the man from outside cannot
defile him,
19 because it does not go into his heart, but into his stomach, and
[7]is eliminated?È (Thus He declared *all foods *clean.)

NIV --
18 "Are you so dull?" he asked. "Don't you see that nothing that enters
a man from the outside can make him `unclean'?
19 For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out
of his body." (In saying
this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.")
Thank you.

Mike Hawkins