Re: James 1:13

Jeffrey Gibson (jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu)
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 14:46:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, James H. Vellenga wrote:

> > Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 13:36:45 -0500 (CDT)
> > From: Jeffrey Gibson <jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu>

> > And yet it puzzels me because it does not seem to take into account
> > what function KAKOWN ("evils", genitive plural) has within the
> > verse.
> >
> > To save Davids, I propose the following solution: That KAKWN goes
> > not with hO GAR QEOS APEIRASTOS ESTIN but with the following
> > phrase PEIRAZEI DE AUTOS OUDENA, and therefore allows James 1.13b
> > to say "for God himself puts no one to the test (by means) of
> > evils" or "with the intent of evil resulting"?
>
> Irrespective of the advantages of doing so, I would think
>
> KAKWN PEIRAZEI DE ...
>
> to be an unusual word order. Doesn't the connective usually
> follow only one word or more tightly connected phrase? The
> form <participle -- main verb -- DE> seems unusual to me.

James,
I take your point. I've looked again at David's text, and he does NOT as
I claim, leave KAKWN hanging, but translates it as "evil men", thus
making the clause say "God is not to be tested by evil men".

Two questions, then. Is this (what I take to be an) instrumental sense a
function of the genitive? And secondly, is "for (but) God does not put
such as these (i.e., "evil men") to the test" a legitimate rendering of
the third phrase of James 1:13. That God does not put the wicked to the
test seems to be a topos in PEIRASMOS related biblical literature.

Thanks for your input.