Re: Many of the Galatians witnessed the Crucifixion

Wed, 9 Jul 1997 08:40:57 -0400

At 7:45 AM -0400 7/9/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>At first blush, it would seem possible to translate Galatians 3:1 with the
>same meaning given the word in the other passages in the Greek New
>Testament: "before whose eyes Jesus Christ was previously portrayed as
>crucified". That would be easier for me to understand, yet none of the
>translations I'm looking at translate it this way, which makes me think that
>I'm missing something here. Louw and Nida suggest "portray vividly" as the
>best translation here:
>
>Louw and Nida 33.191 "PROGRAFW: to provide information in a vivid manner -
>'to describe vividly; to portray.' ... It would be wrong to assume that
>PROGRAFW in Galatians 3:1 refers to some kind of theatrical demonstration.
>The portrayal mentioned here was evidently a vivid verbal description."
>
>But if the portrayal was verbal, why was it before their eyes (KAT
>OFQALMOUS)? This brings us to the second question. I wonder if perhaps
>Christ was portrayed as crucified through the life of Paul, who was
>crucified with Christ (Galatians 2:20), and lived among the Galatians?
>
>This passage raises some very interesting questions, and I don't think I
>have a grasp on the answers yet, so this could turn into an interesting
>discussion!

A couple thoughts that might have a bearing on these questions: (1) the
fundamental sense of GRAFW is not "write" but "sketch" or even "paint." One
of the oldest meanings of GRAFH in classical Attic is "picture" or
"painting." I think this element may bear upon the sense of PROEGRAFH here;
(2) Culturally, the Greek mind (Greek-speaking mind?) was habituated to
thinking about knowledge and understanding in visual terms (that's one of
the things that Thorleif Boman in that celebrated work _Das hebraeische
Denken mit dem griechischen vergleicht_ got right!): think of the verb
OIDA, originally the pf. tense of EIDON, think of Plato's words EIDOS and
IDEA from the same root, think of the opening line of ARistotle's
Metaphysics ("All people [ANQRWPOI] by nature desire to know; the proof is
the delight we take in our senses, especially that of the eyes."). So true
is this that John's gospel makes visual experience one of the two major
vehicles of revelation and faith (light/blindness/vision/darkness), the
other being the spoken word. So I think that the form PROEGRAFH in this
context would indeed have the fundamental sense, "before whose (minds')
eyes was vividly painted a picture of the crucifixion of Jesus."

Summer: 1647 Grindstaff Road/Burnsville, NC 28714/(704) 675-4243