Re: Many of the Galatians witnessed the Crucifixion

James H. Vellenga (jhv0@viewlogic.com)
Wed, 9 Jul 97 09:38:20 EDT

At 7:45 AM -0400 7/9/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>Louw and Nida 33.191 "PROGRAFW: to provide information in a vivid manner -
>'to describe vividly; to portray.' ... It would be wrong to assume that
>PROGRAFW in Galatians 3:1 refers to some kind of theatrical demonstration.
>The portrayal mentioned here was evidently a vivid verbal description."

Pardon my ignorance, but given the Greek love of the visual
(per Carl Conrad) and their evident love of the theatre (given
the plays they have preserved), why do Louw and Nida conclude
that "it would be wrong to assume that PROGRAFW ... refers to
some kind of theatrical demonstration"?

Is there any evidence that early Christians either did or did
not use dramatic presentations of the Gospel?

Regards,
j.v.

James H. Vellenga | jvellenga@viewlogic.com
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. __|__ 508-303-5491
293 Boston Post Road West | FAX: 508-460-8213
Marlboro, MA 01752-4615 |
http://www.viewlogic.com

"We all work with partial information."