Re: Many of the Galatians witnessed the Crucifixion

Brian Lantz (lancelot@access1.net)
Wed, 09 Jul 97 22:09:25 PDT

----------

> At 7:45 AM -0400 7/9/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> >Louw and Nida 33.191 "PROGRAFW: to provide information in a vivid manner -
> >'to describe vividly; to portray.' ... It would be wrong to assume that
> >PROGRAFW in Galatians 3:1 refers to some kind of theatrical demonstration..
> >The portrayal mentioned here was evidently a vivid verbal description."
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but given the Greek love of the visual
> (per Carl Conrad) and their evident love of the theatre (given
> the plays they have preserved), why do Louw and Nida conclude
> that "it would be wrong to assume that PROGRAFW ... refers to
> some kind of theatrical demonstration"?
>
> Is there any evidence that early Christians either did or did
> not use dramatic presentations of the Gospel?

I was just commenting on this. You raise an interesting point. Indeed, the Greek love of drama had to the
the emotional and mental release of the school of abstract thought they so rigourously pursued.
Obviously their mythology was. And there can be no more energetic, hence dramatic, writing than Paul's epistles.
But kata ophtal... prographo has to regard some kind of documentation involved in the occurrence.
After all, they are both in the same sentence. How much stronger can the link be?

Regards,
Brian L.