Re: APOSTASIA in 2 Thess 2:3

Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@utc.campus.mci.net)
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 12:17:14 -0400 (EDT)

Dr. Combs:

According to the Cassell's Latin Dictionary, _discedo_ may also have the
metaphoric meaning of "to deviate" and is so used in this manner by Cicero.
In addition, the same verb is used in Acts 21:21 by Jerome in talking about
"forsaking Moses" which does not have a spatial concept. Although I'm a firm
believer in the rapture, I don't think the argument can be made from the
Greek word _apostasia_ or the Latin verb _discedo_

At 11:26 AM 7/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I am doing some work on APOSTASIA in 2 Thess 2:3. Some have interpreted it as
>a spatial departure and thus a reference to the Rapture of the church. H.
>Wayne House has an article in which he says that in the Vulgate, Jerome
>translated APOSTASIA with the Latin DISCESSIO. He use of DISCESSIO supposedly
>indicates that Jerome had a spatial departure in mind. Can someone help me on
>this or is there a patristics list where I might find some help?
>
>Bill Combs
>Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary

Kevin W. Woodruff
Library Director/Reference Librarian