Re: APOSTASIA in 2 Thess 2:3

Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 13:04:23 EDT

OK, I know this one is going to the whole list. I can see it on the cc.
:)

Anyhow, while I am not at the office (where LS resides), nor do I feel
just now like switching over to Logos 2.0 (yep, I did get it [so far, so
good, JB]) I do recall from memory that PT (abbreviation for a particular
theological persuasion, but we try to steer clear of such terminology for
justifiable fear of flame wars on this list) enthusiasts often appeal to
classical Greek support and to a cognate use of APOSTASIA (where a ship
is taken out to sea by the wind) to support the idea of a physical
departure. The deduction is often then made that this refers to the
rapture.

The problems with this are two too many. First, it has Paul then double
talking. He would then be saying something like this: now concerning the
coming of the Lord and our gathering together unto Him (2 Thess 2:1)(a
clear reference to the rapture) ... that day will not come except that
day (APOSTASIA) come first (PRWTON). Huh?

Secondly, even if this somehow does make sense, we are still left with
the insurmountable obstacle: the revelation of the man of lawlessness,
(v. 3) which is clearly tribulational (Mt 24:15ff) and must also come
PRWTON.

No, the meaning of APOSTASIA, religious abandonment or departure, as used
elsewhere in the NT only in Acts 21:21 (but check LXX: Josh 22:22; 2 Chr
29:19; 1 Macc 2:15) will do just fine here.

If none of this is new or helpful to you, Bill, and all you see are
sparks, then grab the extinguisher. No fire was intended. Just help.

Paul S. Dixon, Pastor
Ladd Hill Bible Church
Wilsonville, Oregon