The mountains

Cees van Veelen (cvveelen@ichthus.lifenet.nl)
Sat, 12 Jul 97 17:46:12 GMT

Jonathan wrote:
> Does anybody out there know enough geography to be able to describe
> exactly what "flee to the mountains" would mean to someone in Judea?
> What difference in meaning would there be between singular and plural?

I have just been in Judea, which is quite a mountainous area. The villages
are
most in the valleys where the water is, and mountains are all around. Even
Jerusalem itself is lower than the mountains around it.
So I think Jesus is not pointing to any mountain in particular, but just:
Get
out of your village or town, and find a cave in any mountain available.
The mountains in the desert of Judea (roughly between Jerusalem and the
Dead See) do make a nice place to hide. David used this area fleeing from
Saul.
In Zec 14:4ff is told that the mount of olives will split, so that you
don't even need to climb that mountain to get to the desert of Judea.