Re: Ephesians 5:14

Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 13:27:07 EDT

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997 08:21:14 -0400 "Carl W. Conrad"
<cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> writes:

>>>Hold your horses, Jim: "TO FWS EN THi SKOTIAi FAINEI, KAI hH SKOTIA
>AUTO OU
>>>KATELABEN." Do you really think that "all that is revealed is light"
>makes
>>>any MORE sense as an explanation of "But everything which is
>reproved by
>>>the light is made manifest"? Is it that which is reproved by the
>light that
>>>is itself light?
>>
>>No! I can't make any sense of either! (But I don't have to have a
>>horse in order to drag someone else off theirs. :^)
>
>Granted! Of course I don't share Paul's (Dixon's, that is) conviction
>that
>the logic of Ephesians (especially Ephesians) is
>Euclidean-Aristotelian.
>Actually Paul didn't say that about Ephesians in particular but about
>the
>logical consistency of Biblical texts in general. Ephesians has always
>seemed to me to present more problems in this regard, and most of all
>with
>respect to the way the metaphors in it are strained to the breaking
>point.
>Nevertheless, I still do believe that the light-darkness imagery is
>used in
>a manner parallel to that in John 3.

You certainly don't think you are going to get JB to buy into biblical
internal inconsistency, do you Carl? He is as much an advocate of the
internal consistency of scripture as I. But, if haven't forgotten our
recent, but brief, discussion on this and hope someday to develop it with
you, if you like. These tidbits do wet my appetite. Am heading off to
high school camp next week (you didn't know I was so young?), not as a
camper, but as the Bible teacher. Man, they must think just because I
raised 7 teenagers, then I must know something about it.