Re: Subject: RE: Matt 27:53 ".. they went into the holy city"

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 07:20:17 -0400

At 10:26 AM 7/17/97 GMT, Mark Goodacre wrote:
>Jonathan Robie wrote:
>
>> Verse 28:2 also mentions an earthquake which seemed to occur on the
>> day of resurrection, in conjunction with the opening of the tomb of
>> Jesus. Did this earthquake also open the graves of the saints?
>
>Matthew of course loves a good earthquake - they happen all over the
>place in his Gospel. He even has a SEISMOS MEGAS EN THi QALASSHi in
>his version of the Stilling of the Storm (Matt. 8.24). A bit of
>Matthean exaggeration, perhaps, like the whole of the 27.51-53
>episode?

Hmmm...they *do* occur four times in the gospel that I can see - the two in
Matthew 27.52-28.2, the one you mention in Matt 8.24, and the following,
which predicts earthquakes in the future:

Matt 24:7 (NASB) "For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against
kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes."

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com