Re: Aorists in 'performative-type' expressions?

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 08:48:30 -0400

At 07:27 AM 7/22/97 -0400, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 11:55 AM -0400 7/21/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>At 11:58 AM 7/21/97 -0400, Rod Decker wrote:
>>
>>>Actually my broader search is for examples of aorist forms that might be
>>>taken as references to 'instaneous' or 'punctiliar' events in present time.
>>>This would not be a usual use or the aorist, but perhaps legitimate in
>>>certain contexts?
>>
>>How about this one?
>>
>>Luke 16:4 EGNWN TI POIHSW!
>
>After more modem trouble that knocked me out of touch with e-mail for
>several more days, I am back and trying to catch up. Upon noticing this, I
>am wondering if this isn't out of the same concerns that led to last week's
>discussion of the form IATAI in Mk 5:19, i.e.: KAI EUQUS EQERAPEUQH ... KAI
>EGNW TWi SWMATI hOTI IATAI APO THS MASTIGOS. For EGNW here certainoly falls
>into this category of 'instantaneous' or 'punctiliar' events in present
>time, doesn't it--and the more so if IATAI really is a present rather than
>a perfect tense?

Welcome back, Carl!

I really appreciate you pointing this out - I hadn't noticed this, even
though I followed the discussion last week.

One little nit: the reference you cited is Mark 5:29, in case anybody is
trying to find it.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com