More on Word Games: John 3:3 (was RE: Lamsa and Aramaic (puns again))

Stevens, Charles C (Charles.Stevens@unisys.com)
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 11:08:16 -0400

I can't speak to *studies* on the subject, but the original (not the
revised) New Testament to the New American Bible pointed out the use of
"word games" in John 3:3, explicitly contrasting "begotten from above"
in this verse with "born again" in v.4. The notes for this verse in
that translation read:

<<*begotten*: the Greek verb can mean "born" from a female principle,
or "begotten" by a male principle. As in 1:13 John primarily means it
as "begotten," though many early versions translate it as "born" or
even, with heightened baptismal symbolism, "reborn". *From above*: the
Greek term *anothen* means both "again" and "from above". V. 31 below
shows that Jesus means it as "from above", but Nicodemus misunderstands.
(A misunderstanding that brings out Jesus' treaching is a common
literary device in John.)??

Theological perspectives aside, is this reasonable, both in this
specific instance and, as the notes assert, elsewhere in the Gospel of
John?

-Chuck Stevens [SMTP: Charles.Stevens@unisys.com]