Re: Philadelphia vs agape

James H. Vellenga (jhv0@mailhost.viewlogic.com)
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 09:43:24 -0400 (EDT)

Jim West wrote, concerning the use of: FILADELFIA and AGAPH:

> Generally agape is taken as a description of God-like love; ...whereas
> philadelphia is
> used to describe the love which Christians ought to have for one
> another.
> I would say that when these words are used the exegete should be very
> careful to extract the full significance of their use; and should also
> attempt to convey to the modern reader or hearer the theological
> import of
> the term.

Isn't there some place in the Synoptics where the Pharisees
"love the chief seats in the synagogue"? My recollection is
that in one of the Synoptics, "love" is FILEW, and in another
it's AGAPAW.

And in 2 Tim 4.10, Demas deserted Paul because of loving
(AGAPHSAS) the present eon too much.

So AGAPAW, at least, dose not always refer to a God-like love.

Regards,
j.v.