Re: Philadelphia vs agape

James H. Vellenga (jhv0@mailhost.viewlogic.com)
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 13:08:37 -0400 (EDT)

> Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 11:28:49 +0400
> From: winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net (Carlton Winbery)
>
> James Vellenga wrote;
> >Isn't there some place in the Synoptics where the Pharisees
> >"love the chief seats in the synagogue"? My recollection is
> >that in one of the Synoptics, "love" is FILEW, and in another
> >it's AGAPAW.
> >
> >And in 2 Tim 4.10, Demas deserted Paul because of loving
> >(AGAPHSAS) the present eon too much.
> >
> >So AGAPAW, at least, dose not always refer to a God-like love.
>
> Matt 6:5 has hOTI FILOUSIN EN TAIS SUNAGWGAIS KAI IN TAIS GWNINAIS TWN
> PLATEIWN ESTWTES PROSEUNCESQAI,
>
> But the synopsis gives no parallel for this in the other gospels.

Thanks for pushing me, Carlton. I found the passage I was
looking for -- Luke 11.43:

hOUAI hUMIN TOIS FARISAIOIS, hOTI AGAPATE THN PRWTOKAQEDRIAN
EN TAIS SUNAGWGAIS KAI TOUS ASPASMOUS EN TAIS AGORAIS.

Alas for you, you Pharisees, that you love the chief seat
in the synagogues and the greetings in the marketplaces!

Regards,
Jim V.

James H. Vellenga | jvellenga@viewlogic.com
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. __|__ 508-303-5491
293 Boston Post Road West | FAX: 508-460-8213
Marlboro, MA 01752-4615 |
http://www.viewlogic.com

"We all work with partial information."