Re: "Reading New Testament Greek"

Andrew Kulikovsky (anku@celsiustech.se)
Fri, 26 Sep 1997 17:22:47 +0000

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Jonathan Robie wrote:

> I am very enthusiastic about this book, which was given to me by Edward. The
> full title is "Reading New Testament Greek", by Bernard Brandon Sctt,
> Margaret Dean, Kristen Sparks, and Frances LaZar. The book has three parts:
>
> Part 1: Lists of NT vocabulary words, listed by frequency, but also by part
> of speech (verbs, nouns, other). Except for the separation by part of
> speech, it is similar to the lists in similar books by Metzger or Trenchard.
> Personally, I find that separating the words out by part of speech makes it
> much easier to memorize them.
>
> Part 2: Infrequently used words, listed by Bible passage, so you can learn
> the words used in a passage before you read that passage. I find this really
> helpful, since I don't have to stop while I am reading.

Kubo's Reader's Lexicon is good for this also. He lists all the words
that occur frequently in a book (but less than 50 times in the NT) at the
front of the book and then other words found infrequently under the
particular verse number.

> Part 3: Paradigms. This is similar to Metzger's presentation. It includes
> declension of nouns, adjectives, etc., summaries of use of prepositions,
> and charts of the principle parts of verbs.
>

> As far as I know, Metzger's "Lexical Aids for Students of New Testament
> Greek" was the first book of this kind, and I found it very helpful. One
> helpful feature of "Lexical Aids" that is not found in "Reading NT Greek" is
> the list of cognate word groups.
>
> I also have Trenchard's "Complete Vocabulary Guide to the Greek New
> Testament", which builds on Metzger's "Lexical Aids", using a similar
> approach, but includes the entire vocabulary of the New Testament. It also
> has lots of interesting little lists (all Persian words in the NT, elision
> forms, enclitics, number words, etc.)

Robinson's Mastering NT Greek Vocabulary also has most of this stuff.

> Really, all three of these books are very helpful for someone like me who
> needs to build up vocabulary and mastery of the paradigms. But Part 2 of
> "Reading New Testament Greek" is really special, since it lets me learn the
> vocabulary for a passage before I read that passage.

cheers,
Andrew