Re: 1 Cor 1:18

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 06:23:39 -0400

At 08:14 PM 9/9/97 +0100, Rev. Craig R. Harmon wrote:
>I am a new subscriber to this list and I find it very interesting. As a
>pastor, I try to use the Greek text as much as I possibly can in my own
>study as well as in sermon preparation. It's not that I don't get the
>meaning here, but I can't figure something out in this text, perhaps
>someone could help. Could someone please tell me, what kind of Datives
>are TOIS...APOLLUMENOIS and TOIS...SWIZOMENOIS. Also, just what do they
>modify, ESTIN, or MWRIA?

The datives for TOIS APOLLUMENOIS and TOIS...SWIZOMENOIS convey the meaning
"to", as in, "to those who are being lost". The dative often carries the
meaning "to" or "for" - in my Gramcord notes, this is referred to as the
"Pure Dative". Another way of putting this is to say that these datives
identify indirect objects.

I have a hard time answering the question "just what do they modify, ESTIN,
or MWRIA?", since they don't really modify anything. I think it may be
helpful to think of the verse this way:

SUBJECT: hO LOGOS GAR hO TOU STAUROU

Indirect object #1: TOIS MEN APOLLUMENOIS
Predicate clause: MWRIA ESTIN

Indirect object #2: TOIS DE SWiZOMENOIS hUMIN
Predicate clause: DUNAMIS QEOU ESTIN

The subject functions as the subject for two different object/predicate
constructions. In each case, the indirect object gives the scope for the
predicate clause - only those who are perishing think that the cross is
foolishness, and only we who are being saved think that it is the power of God.

Does this help?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com