Re: 1 Jn 2:8-11 and the New Commandment

Ward Powers (bwpowers@eagles.bbs.net.au)
Sat, 27 Sep 1997 23:56:47 +1000

At 00:36 97/09/25 EDT, Paul Dixon wrote:

>It seems strange that John brings up the new commandment
>in 1 Jn 2:8, but does not really give the commandment in the
>following verses.
>
>What he does do, however, is say that the new commandment
>ESTIN ALHQES EN AUTWi KAI hUMIN. How does that strike
>you? It must be pretty well understood to these readers that
>John had the commandment of Christ in mind as found in
>John 15:9-17, that is, that you love one another.

Good point. As a wider generalization, I suggest that 1 John always has to
be read against the teaching of the Gospel of John. Indeed, it seems to me
as if 1 John is almost John's own commentary upon the teaching of Jesus
which he records in his Gospel.

Ward

Rev Dr B. Ward Powers Phone (International): 61-2-9799-7501
10 Grosvenor Crescent Phone (Australia): (02) 9799-7501
SUMMER HILL NSW 2130 email: bwpowers@eagles.bbs.net.au
AUSTRALIA.