Re: 1 Jn 5:16, hAMARTANONTA hAMARTIAN

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 07:04:39 -0400

At 02:37 AM 9/20/97 EDT, Paul S. Dixon wrote:
>In this verse of luscious exegetical nuggets comes this intriguing
>phrase, hAMARTANONTA hAMARTIAN (1 Jn 5:16). It is translated,
>"committing a sin" (NASV), " committing ... sin" (RSV), "sin a sin"
>(KJV), and "commit a sin" (NIV).

Yes, this is one of those Greek uses that translates badly into English,
which has no acceptable equivalent. Smyth and Robertson both call it the
cognate accusative. Smyth treats it in sections 1563 - 1577; Robertson's
Massive Yellow Tome treats this under the heading "cognate accusative" (p.
477 ff). Other examples include ECARHSAN XARAN (Mt. 2:10), FULASSONTES
FULAKAS (Lu 2:8).

I don't have time right now (my wife says I have to shower and leave in 25
minutes), so I'll just leave you with the references...

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com