Re: 2:7-8 and Contradictions?

Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 01:12:55 EDT

Well, since I was the one who started this thread but had to miss all
the fun, being busy all day, perhaps it is only fair if I get the last
shot.

Thanks, Jim. Let me cite something from Barnes regarding the old/new
commandment controversy:

It is called new, not because there was no command before
which required men to love their fellow-man, for one great
precept of the law was that they should love their neighbor
as themselves (Lev 19:18); but it was new because it had
never before been made that by which any class or body of
men had been known and distinguished . . . Christians
were to be distinguished by tender and constant attachment
to each other . . . as I have loved you, that ye also love one
another. (Jn 13:34)

So, in this sense it is both an old commandment and a new one, but
surely this cannot be construed as being contradictory, as Jim points
out. They are contradictory only if the existence of one rules out the
possibility of the existence of the other. They do not.

Furthermore, when John says, OUK ENTOLHN KAINHN GRAFW, in v. 7,
then, ENTOLHN KAINHN GRAFW, in v. 8, this would be contradictory only
if the "new commandments" were identical. Clearly, they are not. The
first
ENTOLHN KAINHN is explained as the law of love before Christ came; the
second as the law of love after Christ came.

Paul Dixon

Dr. Paul S. Dixon, Pastor
Wilsonville, Oregon
http://users.aol.com/dixonps