Re: ACTS 7:1 EI TAUTA hOUTWS EXEI

Burton J. Rozema (rozema@mcs.net)
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 15:27:21 -0500 (CDT)

Clyton,

The constuction hOUTWS EXEI is an example of the use of EXEI with an
adverb to express "to be," making the adverb and an adjective, very common
(standard) in classical Greek, but less so in NT. Also standard in
classical Greek is the use of a singular verb with a neuter plural
subject, such as TAUTA. Thus TAUTA is nominative and is the subject of
EXEI. "If these things are thus..." (Better English: "If this is
so....")

Hope that helps.

Burton J. Rozema Phone: 708-239-4760
VP Academic Affairs FAX: 708-385-5665