Re: ALLOS and Jn. 1:1c (Anarthrous Subject)

Wed, 10 Sep 1997 07:38:48 -0500

At 7:19 AM -0500 9/10/97, taxis@gte.net wrote:
>Dear B-Greeks,
>
>I don't see an important difference between Cindy's view that
>EIMI + PROS signifies parts of a complex unity and the other view
>(Rolf's?) that it signifies separation. The notion of parts of a whole,
>obviously, supports both views, i.e. there are "parts" and they
>comprise a "whole". Emphasizing one or the other aspect does not
>negate the other.
>
>The best word for the whole in Jn 1:1 is *syzygy*.
>
>Looking elsewhere in According to John for a comparable construction
>will probably be fruitless, because the incarnation places Jesus outside
>the syzygy (in our world), i.e. *while* walking the Earth, he is not PROS
>TON QEON.

I would agree with Will here--but I'd also say that I can't quite
understand why people want to find several centuries' worth of trinitarian
doctrine fully enunciated in intelligible form in John's prologue. I've
been meaning for some time, however, to note in connection with Cindy's
study of PROS + EIMI constructions, that we probably ought (especially in
view of the fact that our central focus in this interminable thread has
been part-of-a-whole-verse within the Johannine prologue) to consider in
the same light as those PROS + EIMI constructions the powerful image
conveyed by John 1:18--and I'm thinking particularly of the phrase hO WN
EIS TON KOLPON TOU PATROS:

QEON OUDEIS hEWRAKEN PWPOTE; MONOGENHS QEOS hO WN EIS TON KOLPON TOU
PATROS EKEINOS EXHGHSATO.

To be sure, the verse has been mentioned previously in connection with the
usage of MONOGENHS QEOS here, but there's been no discussion of hO WN EIS
TON KOLPON TOU PATROS, and I would think that it just MIGHT have some
bearing on how we understand PROS TON QEON in John 1:1. Personally, I
think EIS TON KOLPON is even more striking thatn PROS + acc. with EIMI: we
might understand PROS TON QEON to mean "in the presence of" or "face to
face with," but the sense of EIS TON KOLPON TOU PATROS WN is the more
striking (I think), and not really adequately conveyed in English by "in
the bosom of the father."