Fwd: ALLOS and Jn. 1:1c/Was Anarthrous Subject

CWestf5155@aol.com
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 19:29:32 -0400 (EDT)

---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj: Re: ALLOS and Jn. 1:1c/Was Anarthrous Subject
Date: 97-09-09 19:23:38 EDT
From: CWestf5155
To: jwrobie@mindspring.com

Dear Jonathan,

<<
At 01:26 PM 9/9/97 -0400, CWestf5155@aol.com wrote:
>My point is not to prove a complex unit in QEOS with only Jn. 1:1-2, and I
do
>want to stick to the immediate literary context and the point that is at
>issue.

I have no idea what a "complex unit" is...could somebody please explain what
they are talking about?

Thanks!

Jonathan

I did define the term at the start, but I see that the terms need to be
repeated. This isn't any special linguistics term or anything. It was just
my word for something like a complex organism. A singular thing which may
have parts: a community with members, the Sanhedrin with elders, the
fellowship with local believers, God as One with the Father, Son and Holy
Sprit. But of course, these two verses only would deal with the relationship
between God and the Son, identified as hO LOGOS in Jn. 1:1-2.

The question was, does PROS in 1:1b and 1:1c mean that God and the Word were
two distinct (mutually exclusive) individuals.

I demonstrated that in six out of eight occurences of EIMI + PROS in the NT,
it had the idea of some involvement or incorporation of an individual (the
subject) in a group (the object of the preposition). Therefore, EIMI + PROS
could include the idea that the Word hO LOGOS was incorporated or included in
God hO QEOS.

Cindy Westfall
Denver