Re: an honest question...

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 21:12:05 -0400

At 08:25 PM 9/25/97 -0400, Randy Leedy wrote:
>May I venture a word on this thread that, while having little or
>nothing to do with Greek, has much to do with the character and
>operation of the list?
>
>I understand Andrew's perplexity, having myself sensed that many of
>my posts have not received the attention I thought they warranted.

This surprises and concerns me. When I think of the people who really know
Greek, Randy and Don are definitely high on my list, and I have learned a
lot from them. I had assumed that they were posting less because they were
busy with other things.

Speaking for myself, I *have* found that some kinds of posts receive more
attention than others. Posts which are short and to the point, and which
raise an interesting question, tend to get responses. Posts which are
longer, and which try to explain something in depth, often get less of a
response. Naturally, questions get more responses than answers. If anyone
feels ignored, it might be worthwhile to observe the differences between
posts that people respond to and posts that they do not respond to.

>First, I conclude that my posts apparently tend not to connect with
>the interests or viewpoints of many on the list, at least not among
>those who post frequently.

Well, I think that I post frequently, and I have found many of your posts
very interesting. I would welcome more of them.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com